Friday, August 24, 2007

Living with New Capitalism

唉...慢...延期三個月。如果有人(竟然)有興趣知道我在做的是什麼題目,以下是只說了research question的abstract。

Living with New Capitalism: Works and Values of the 1980s Generation in Hong Kong

Before my graduation in 2003, work had never occupied a distinctive position in my academic roam. I realized I could hardly be more wrong for being negligent when I had my first job. I was a contracted out, temporary clerk in a department of the government. My sole duty was scanning all the papers of a file room into digital form, piece by piece. I look around; some of my friends are in a similarly confused state as mine. Work is uninteresting, career path is unclear and more broadly, we are unsure about which way to go. This unexamined, vague impression is the starting point of this research. American scholar Richard Sennett provided a sociological perspective to contemplate my (over-)pessimistic personal perception in his book, ‘The Corrosion of Character’ (1998). He suggested capitalism is transforming to a different phase. He framed it as the New Capitalism, whose the core emphasis is on flexibility. Sennett went on discussing how this structural change undermined the long-term value, for instance, loyalty and commitment, of our life. It sheds light on my enquiry and directs my question to be, ‘how does a specific social structure, the contemporary, flexible workplace in today’s Hong Kong, nourish or inhibit particular kind of values of 1980s generation?’ In this research, four young men are interviewed to give a detailed account of their work and life, which goes on to illustrate some common forces shaping their generation.

(將於11月底完成...)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

的而且確我們現在所做的只不過是一顆小小的螺絲釘而已,單獨來看完全沒有用處,我們的所謂工作只是無聊而沒有意義的東西,若廣一點來看沒了這顆螺絲釘,整個機器就無法運行下去,又或是會運行的不暢順,然而,螺絲釘畢竟只是螺絲釘,它不見得有多獨一無二,丟了這顆就再配一顆好了。反正,「我們」不過是由同一工廠生產出來的大量產物。

labrev said...

努力,加油ar!!!

大黎先生、細黎生、得得B都會等人期待你出山同我地"0也"飯!!!

記住俾Dcontact我AR~~~

hegelchong said...

好期待你的大作呀!加油!

Kin said...

多謝支持...緩慢地寫。大家都知可以有幾悶架啦...有時自覺石破天驚,但不久後又發現其實不外如是...

唔...

好想寫中文...

Anonymous said...

你好,我們是一個華文聯播網站www.mix-blog.com,誠意邀請你加入我們的聯播大家庭,有空請來看看啊!^.^

O Lady Be Good said...

"Work is uninteresting, career path is unclear and more broadly, we are unsure about which way to go." <-- exactly how I feel this moment!!! I dont feel like existing no matter how hard I work for a long day.

Katy

milka said...

加油,看來很有意思。